Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoping to Start Autocross

I wouldn't consider myself an expert quite yet, but I've done a fair bit of research. The right amount of camber seems to be about -3 to -4 degrees. I had adjustable Skunk2 upper control arms on one of my cars and dialed it up to -5.5. The wheel looked flush with the ground in corners with that much camber, but it was only mid corner at maximum cornering speed I could pull that off. Otherwise I was just using a small portion of the tire.

1/16" toe in the front seems good for a car that's being driven on the street.

I've tried to adjust my toe myself, but I didn't have the right setup and just seemed to make it worse, so for the moment I have "I don't know, but it pulls to the right a lot".

Redshift has a good writeup, albeit a little dated http://redshiftmotorsports.com/RedSh...ech%20Page.htm Andy Hollis has a lot of good information too https://www.facebook.com/pg/HollisRacing/notes/ I imagine the 1989 Civic/CRX Si and '92-'95 DX setups will be very similar.
    Jeff Tattershall 23 STS

Quote Originally Posted by Hardline View Post
    I'd say STS as well, if he sticks with 200TW tires. If he goes purple crack though, I believe that is an FSP car.
    If you want to keep it street drivable and at all competitive, FSP is not a great idea. It can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    53 FSP
    RatHammer Motorsports
    How do you find a porcupine in the dark?

Thanks guys. I want to stay in STS. I'm going to be picking up some 15x7 Enkei RPF1s before starting, not sure on offset, probably +41 and not sure on tires yet.

Unfortunately I was in an "accident" today. Doing a u-turn (at like 5mph) on a mountain road I misjudged my distance from the curb and slipped off it breaking something. If I don't get it fixed in time I'll probably bring my RX-7 instead, we'll see. My RX-7 is driving poorly now - very vague handling which I've been unable to determine the cause. Furthermore been thinking about selling it for X1/9, NA Miata or RWD Corolla, so I dunno. Hopefully I'll get my Civic fixed.

My Civic *was* driving well despite heavy understeer from only having a front swaybar due to clearance issues with the stupid hacked up exhaust I have on it now preventing me from installing my rear bar.

Quote Originally Posted by hcaulfield57 View Post
    RWD Corolla, so I dunno.
    I know of a late 70's RWD Corolla that is for sale if you would like contact information, it's actually Jeff's roommate Cassidy. He was going to use it for Rally so as far as I know there is no interior carpeting or rear seats, but there are many extras with it for a reasonable price.
    Matthew Brown
    COR Chief of Timing and Scoring

Quote Originally Posted by mbrown View Post
    I know of a late 70's RWD Corolla that is for sale if you would like contact information, it's actually Jeff's roommate Cassidy. He was going to use it for Rally so as far as I know there is no interior carpeting or rear seats, but there are many extras with it for a reasonable price.
    I'd be really interested if I had the space, but I need to decide what to do with my RX-7 first, and I want to finish my Civic before I make a decision on my RX-7.

As much as I love my RX-7, I've just somewhat lost interest in it lately.

Okay, so I got a set of 15x7" Enkei RPF1's with Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs. Haven't driven on them much, because my water pump is leaking and needs to be replaced, but grip feels good and a huge upgrade over the stock all-seasons. Feels like a totally different car.

Hope to attend on the 28th, assuming I can keep the car together. My understanding is that helmets are available for rental, so I just need to figure out some numbers, and I'm good to go?

We have free helmets you can borrow during the event, but at some point you'll want to get your own. Yep, figure out what numbers aren't reserved on Motorsportreg when you sign up and you should be good to go. Make sure you either get large magnets or painters tape to stick those numbers on your car during the event. Welcome to the addiction.
    Suraj Pradhan
    D Street
    What line?

I didn't realize there was a Winter schedule! I'm hoping to participate at these events. What do people do for tires, just run Summer tires if the temperature is high enough?

Quote Originally Posted by hcaulfield57 View Post
    I didn't realize there was a Winter schedule! I'm hoping to participate at these events. What do people do for tires, just run Summer tires if the temperature is high enough?
    Some will run race tires, some run summer tires and some run winter tires. It is a non-points series so it all depends on what you want from it. Running on summer tires during cold weather doesn't always work out very well because they don't stick when cold. Last year I did run on summer tires just because they were old and hard and I wanted to use them up. This year I need another set of summer tire, so I will be running on my all season tires and get new summer tire in the spring.

66 STR
    Team OddBall

Co-Chief Equipment Setup
    Safety Steward
    Site Acquisition Team
    Street Survival Coach

I had a tremendous amount of fun on Saturday! I'll definitely be going to as many events as I can to get more seat time and improve.

I didn't get lost on the course and improved my time by 7 seconds, so I'm pretty happy with the way I did. I was very happy with the way my car handled and drove, and I don't think anything inherent to the car was holding me back. Next time I'll try looking forward more, since I kept getting fixated on whatever corner I was at causing me to setup poorly for the next.