Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoping to Start Autocross

Hoping to Start Autocross

Hi,

My name is Grant, I posted on here last year, but I think it got deleted when the forum changed. I had some personal things come up so I was never able to get out and autocross. I still have my RX-7, but bought a 93' Civic DX hatchback as a daily driver last year which I plan to use for autocross. I bought the car to determine empirically if FWD could handle well and be enjoyable / fun to drive. It's very light (< 1000kg) and fun so far.

I know the modifications will put me in a class I have no hopes of competing in, but I just want to learn more about driving and have fun. The car has Si front control arms, Integra GSR rear control arms, new OEM bushings, ball-joints, rebuilt manual steering rack, Koni Yellows and 380 lb/in, 300 lb/in springs front and rear respectively. I plan on adding 22mm swaybars front and rear. I know it's a understeer biased setup, but I use the car mostly to drive to work, so it's what I want for now. The car is on the stock 175/70-13 all-seasons - I don't know how much of an issue this is for starting. I've thought about picking up some cheap wheels (Kosei K1) to run some different tires, but dunno if I want to spend the money.

I'm hoping to attend on the 26th! Any suggestions, advice would be much appreciated.

Hi Grant
    I am a rear wheel drive car guy myself, but I do know what ever you drive you will have fun.

Mark
    77 FS

FWD can for darned sure be made to handle well! I'm not a Honda fella myself, but we have some VERY competitive people who are. (Paging Kinch, Mike Forstyhe.)
    53 FSP
    RatHammer Motorsports
    How do you find a porcupine in the dark?

Thanks for the responses guys. So far in my "experiment" I find myself enjoying both RWD and FWD equally - different, but both fun in their own way. I've been enjoying my Civic a bit more though recently, so it's what I'm going to use.

I'm going to try and read what material is on this site, so that I can show up and at least be ready to drive! Few questions:

- I think my car could be in STS, however I want to make sure, should I open up another thread, or maybe people can comment here?
    - Should I make an effort to get some proper tires? My thoughts are since I won't be competitive anyways, perhaps the lower grip of my skinny all-seasons will be better for learning initially?

I know my spring rates are wrong, but if I enjoy this, I'll probably switch things up as I learn.

Sounds like to me you're in STS with your mods. I'm not sure about the steering rack being rebuilt to a manual rack, I know the HX had a manual rack but I'm not sure if the STS rules allow switching racks. Your spring rates don't sound too far off, sounds like you pretty much have a fully prepped car.

Short of the 13" tires, you're actually approaching a fully prepped STS car with the mods you have. You'll find similarly prepped cars in STS if you decide to run with us. I have a set of Dunlop Direzza Z2 *Specs I can sell you mounted on 15x6s if you're interested. Tires make all the difference.

Welcome aboard, look forward to meeting you!
    Jeff Tattershall 23 STS

Just get rims and really good tires that are allowed per the STS ruleset and have fun. You'll have much more fun with the right tires. Welcome to the addiction.
    Suraj Pradhan
    D Street
    What line?

As far as I know the 92'-95' CX, VX and DX hatchback w/ manual transmission all came standard with a manual steering rack. I just did a standard rebuild and adjusted it to take out some of the slack. My car also did not originally come with A/C. I also plan on getting an ASR rear subframe brace (to run 22mm rear swaybar), but my understanding is it's legal in STS. Also, I hope my Si control arms and Integra control arms allow me to stay in STS. Neither changes the stock suspension geometry to my knowledge. I also have the Ground Control extended top hats to mount the shock up higher. Glad to hear my car is fairly upgraded. I've done nothing to the engine, transmission or anything else since I like the good MPG and it will never be fast anyways.

@Jetatt23: Yes, I'd be interested in wheels. I was considering the Kosei K1s in 15x7 with a 195/50-15 tire. I'd really like a set of Enkei RPF1s, but with tires it will be $1000+ and not sure I want to spend the money right now.

Yeah, STS allows one arm front and rear to change, so sounds like you're still legal. The mounting points are all the same so no concerns there.

I love the Kosei's, I have a set of those but I'm holding on to them. The Enkei's are also good, but 15x7.5 surprisingly makes a difference versus 15x7. You'll also probably want 205 instead of 195. My wheels are only 6" wide and heavy (stock from an early 00's Civic), but they'll help get you started if you like.
    Jeff Tattershall 23 STS

@Jetatt23: I've got to think about it, thanks for the offer though. Really like the Kosei's though - great value for the price, I'm just concerned about their longevity on the street.

Any thoughts about alignment anyone? Seems like 1/16" total toe-out in the front and zero toe in the rear would be a good setup for street and autocross. I have not got the car aligned since it was lowered, and I may hold off until I figure out what I'm going to do wheel-wise - since I may get rubbing if I switch tires the way it is. I'll keep posting questions as I get them, still have a lot of reading to do.

I'd say STS as well, if he sticks with 200TW tires. If he goes purple crack though, I believe that is an FSP car.