Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hoping to Start Autocross

The stock 210,000+ mile engine in my Civic seems like it doesn't have much time left (goes through about 1 quart of oil a week).

I'm assuming that my only real option engine-wise is just to rebuild the stock engine (or find a replacement). I'd like to swap a B16+LSD into the car, I don't care about power, but I'd like something with a bit more character, but this would put the car into SMF which I'm assuming would be bad for me as I'm beginning and trying to learn.

I'm thinking I'll just keep the stock 102 hp engine and stay in STS. That way I can learn with a low power car and stay in a class I could maybe be competitive in someday. Any thoughts? Just trying to brainstorm options. I mean I could get a different car, but I have a lot of money invested into this chassis (and I really enjoy it too).

Quote Originally Posted by hcaulfield57 View Post
    I'd like to swap a B16+LSD into the car, I don't care about power, but I'd like something with a bit more character, but this would put the car into SMF which I'm assuming would be bad for me as I'm beginning and trying to learn.

I'm thinking I'll just keep the stock 102 hp engine and stay in STS. That way I can learn with a low power car and stay in a class I could maybe be competitive in someday. Any thoughts? Just trying to brainstorm options. I mean I could get a different car, but I have a lot of money invested into this chassis (and I really enjoy it too).
    Sorry the super-late response... as a former EG owner myself, I have to say it's a great platform. It looks like you've only done one or two events at this point. Yes, it is easier/better to learn in a lower-power car (also a lower-grip car means you'll reach the limits more readily and often, which is where the learning happens) but I fully understand that if you have to put a lot of money into an engine build/repair, the urge to make the car faster and more fun while you're at it is strong (especially when the car is also a DD, not a pure autocross vehicle).

I would either go ahead with your B16/LSD build, and say "screw it" to the fact that you'll be highly uncompetitive in SMF (you'll still learn, just be careful not to develop any bad habits, like trying to make up for poor cornering speeds by driving fast when pointed straight... not that that is really an effective "strategy" for being fast anyway); or find a bone-stock junkyard motor to swap in to stay legal for STS and minimize your repair costs.

Quote Originally Posted by EGbeater View Post
    Sorry the super-late response... as a former EG owner myself, I have to say it's a great platform. It looks like you've only done one or two events at this point. Yes, it is easier/better to learn in a lower-power car (also a lower-grip car means you'll reach the limits more readily and often, which is where the learning happens) but I fully understand that if you have to put a lot of money into an engine build/repair, the urge to make the car faster and more fun while you're at it is strong (especially when the car is also a DD, not a pure autocross vehicle).

I would either go ahead with your B16/LSD build, and say "screw it" to the fact that you'll be highly uncompetitive in SMF (you'll still learn, just be careful not to develop any bad habits, like trying to make up for poor cornering speeds by driving fast when pointed straight... not that that is really an effective "strategy" for being fast anyway); or find a bone-stock junkyard motor to swap in to stay legal for STS and minimize your repair costs.
    Thanks for the response. I'm leaning towards the second option. Do you know of any junkyards that would be good to look at? I think learning and being competitive is more important to me at this point.

I've now completed two events in the car. I love driving my Civic, and I'm really impressed with the handling so far. I'm really enjoying autocross and trying to go to as many events as possible.